Wednesday, December 24, 2014

agriCULTURE: 'Twas the Night Before Christmas (#GaMktBulletin style)

Originally published in the Dec. 25, 2013, issue
 
By Dallas Duncan
Letter from the Editor
 
 
‘Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the farm
 
Not an animal was stirring, not even in the barn.
 
The coveralls were hung by the fire to dry,
 
And we all waited for Santa Claus to drop by.
 
My kids were nestled snug in their beds,
 
While visions of Fords and Allis Chalmers danced in their heads.
 
And Bonnie Jo in her curlers and I in my ball cap
 
Had just settled down for a good night’s nap,
 
When out near the pasture I heard such a ruckus,
 
I leapt out of bed and reached for my musket.
 
Out to the porch I flew like a flash,
 
To see what on Earth could’a caused that loud crash.
 
The moon in the sky was shining mighty bright
 
And I squinted to see in all the white light.
 
What I saw on the roof made me grasp the porch rails –
 
Santa Claus on a tractor pulled by eight massive Clydesdales!
 
That jolly old man looked a lot like Phil, my Pappy,
 
As he let off the gas and said, “I’m so happy, happy, happy!”
 
He called to his elves, who were riding a plow,
 
And they ran to him just as fast as their little legs would allow.
 
“Now Gary! Now Peaches, now Peanut and Piney,
 
On Zippy! On Jersey, on Haygood and Honey!”
 
"To the top of the fence! To the top of the wall!
 
"We’ve got Christmas spirit to sow, there’s no time to stall!”
 
Next thing I knew they were headed to the chimney
 
Carrying so much stuff – how’d it all fit on that jitney?
 
They had trucks for my boys and a saddle for my daughter,
 
Those elves even brought my cattle bottled water!
 
As I slipped back inside to watch the delivery,
 
Santa and crew came down in their Christmas livery.
 
He was dressed all in red, from his head to his boots,
 
And his elves wore glittery green camo suits.
 
Those burlap sacks full of toys they’d laid by the tree
 
And as they unpacked them I couldn’t wait to see.
 
There were fruitcakes from Claxton and pecans from Lane;
 
A Market Bulletin subscription and bags of new grain.
 
The elves giggled and laughed as they stuffed our stockings
 
With so many Georgia Georgia gifts, I just kept gawking.
 
Santa Claus supervised the entire exchange,
 
Eating cookies as he made himself at home on our range.
 
He had a big smile and a round potbelly
 
That shook when he laughed, like a jar of mayhaw jelly.
 
He admired our Christmas tree, its lights all a-twinkle,
 
And Bonnie Jo’s wrapping, done with paper that crinkled.
 
He glanced at the clock and then at his elves:
 
“Y’all, we better get a move on, ourselves.
 
There’s all of Atlanta and north Georgia to visit, you know,
 
So we must be on our way before that rooster crows.”
 
They sprang up the chimney as quick as they came,
 
Loaded on their tractor and Santa took the reins.
 
But I heard him exclaim as they flew out of sight,
 
“Merry Christmas to all Georgia agriculture tonight!”


No comments:

Post a Comment