Friday, December 5, 2014

Take 5: A Sit-Down with Santa Claus

Originally published in the Dec. 11, 2013, issue
 
Claus
1. What's the best part of delivering toys on Christmas Eve?
 
Delivering toys on Christmas Eve is the highlight of our year. The elves have been working all year making, wrapping and preparing the toys for my trip around the world. Knowing that we have made a wish come true for a good boy or girl makes all of us happy. I get particularly excited when I have placed a toy around the tree and then look back and think that in a little while it will be in full use.
 
2. What kind of cookies and drink should we leave out for you? Anything for the elves or reindeer?
 
I don't think that there is a type of cookie, cake or snack that I don't love. I am moving so fast on Christmas Eve that sometimes I just get a nibble. But I know when I've arrived in Georgia because you have cookies and cakes with wonderful-tasting pecans and peanuts. Santa loves fresh milk, because it is so tasty and good for you. Occasionally, my little friends will leave a carrot or an apple for the reindeer. They really love that. Elves, on the other hand, love candy and Mrs. Claus makes wonderful things like Georgia peanut brittle for them.
 
3. Did you buy any Georgia Grown gifts this year?
 
Oh, did I ever! I came home with some wonderful sauces, jellies and a honey spread that tastes so good on toast. I also brought some blueberry juice that gives me so much energy! I also bought some alpaca wool socks to keep my feet warm on Christmas Eve.
 
4. How do you get into houses that don't have chimneys?
 
That's an easy one. Santa, as you know, is an elf. I can magically make myself very small and slide under the door, unlock it and bring in my bag full of toys. I do just the reverse when it is time to leave.
 
5. Tell us the one thing you want for Christmas this year!
 
I want boys and girls to be good and be kind to their family and to one another. That always makes me happy and being happy is what makes Christmas merry for me.
 
A special thanks to Evan Karanovich, former special assistant to the commissioner, and Harris Blackwood of the Governor’s Office for Highway Safety for helping put the Market Bulletin in touch with Santa Claus.

No comments:

Post a Comment