Friday, January 30, 2015

Arty's Garden: An Old Rose that Became an Old Friend

Originally published in the May 14, 2014, issue
 
I hate when plant breeders name a flower variety after another flower. It can be confusing: ‘Geranium’ narcissus and ‘Pink Camellia’ geranium come to mind.
 
Another example is the ‘Gardenia’ rose that started blooming in my garden in April. I suppose its open flowers do resemble gardenias in size and color. The pointed buds start out buttery yellow and open to cream before fading to almost white. Gardenias do the reverse, starting out pure white, but aging to shades of yellow.
 
‘Gardenia’ does not mimic the thick, spicy fragrance of its namesake. There are fruity notes in its perfume profile, and rosarian Peter Beales said the rose’s refreshing fragrance is “reminiscent of apples.” But fragrance can be subjective and hard to pinpoint, especially the complex fragrance of a rose.
 
For many years I did not know the rose’s true name. I first encountered it at the old Goodson homeplace when I was jogging down Randleman Road in Iron Station, NC. No one was living in the rundown house or had lived there for years, but that did not seem to bother the mystery rose one bit. It was covered with blooms and showed no signs of needing any attention.
 
A rose that blooms and thrives with no care? Well, that got my attention. I ran home for the clippers to take cuttings. That was 1980 and ‘Gardenia’ has been with me ever since. In the past 34 years it has never been fertilized or sprayed with any fungicide or insecticide. It hasn’t needed it. There may be an occasional hint of black spot or powdery mildew on a couple leaves, but never enough to detract from its appearance or health.  
 
Three decades may seem like a long time, but ‘Gardenia’ has been around much longer. It came out in 1899 as a cross between the memorial rose (Rosa wichuraiana) and ‘Perle des Jardins,’ one of the finest yellow tea roses of its day. It got good qualities of both parents: color and fragrance from ‘Perle des Jardins’ and vigor and attractive foliage from the memorial rose. The memorial rose received its name because it was often planted in cemeteries, a good indication of its durability as cemeteries are places where plants often have to get by with minimal care.
 
'Gardenia' is a rambler, but can be grown as a large, mounding shrub. Mine covers the chain-link fence between me and a neighbor. In fact, it has practically hidden the fence and will need some serious pruning after it blooms in order for me to squeeze by it.
 
Although not a repeat bloomer, ‘Gardenia’ produces oodles of flowers during the few weeks it reigns as queen of the garden. I cut bouquets for friends and neighbors. They delight in the rose’s perfectly pointed yellow buds, changing colors, fragrance and history.
 
I suppose I could find a rose that blooms longer, requires less pruning or has fewer thorns. But I also have my shortcomings and prickly moments. ‘Gardenia’ may not be perfect, but it has become a valuable garden friend whose history has become entwined with my own.
 
I hope we have at least 34 more years together.
 
Arty Schronce is the Department’s resident gardening expert. He is a lifelong gardener and a horticulture graduate of North Carolina State University who encourages everyone to make a friend in the garden.


No comments:

Post a Comment